I'm listening to the State of the Union Address...here are my comments in "real time", a la "stream of consciousness" . . .
* OK, if you want us to be at the forefront of innovation and if you want us to be teaching our kids to THINK, then we need to get rid of standardized testing that forces our kids into cookie cutter moulds of conformity.
* Hear, hear. I"m liking the idea of cutting our dependency on biofuels. And I'd love to see 80% of our energy to come from clean energy sources.
* "We need to win the race to educate our kids."
* AMEN!! Turn off the TV, parents! "It's not just the winner of the Super Bowl that deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair."
* "It's time to reward good teachers and stop making excuses for the bad ones."
* In other countries (lost the name -- it went too fast), teachers are known as "Nation Builders" -- "it is time that we treat our teachers with the same respect."
* Of course our infrastructure is ridiculously underfunded -- we spend too much on the military and on pet projects of legistators.
* 80% of Americans access to high-speed rail!!! Beautiful!! (and even an airport security joke tossed in...)
* "It can be done." In general, I'm so happy to hear a positive, enthusiastic, and idealistic speech. We might not accomplish all that Obama is outlining -- but darn it, it is all POSSIBLE, if we really do work together and be the American family that he is talking about. As he said in the recent memorial address in Tuscon, "The forces that unite us are stronger than the forces that divide us."
* Brain cancer patient = pathos!
* Here comes the logos -- "Every day families make sacrifices to live within their means. They deserve a government that does the same."
* Freeze annual domestic spending for the next 5 years...proposing spending cuts -- Amen to the ones for military spending...eliminate what we can honestly do without...but not on the backs of our most vulnerable citizens.
* What?? Millionaires giving up their tax breaks? gasp! :)
* Simplify individual tax code -- sounds like a great idea! Let's do it.
* "We can't win and do business in the future with a government of the past."
* Salmon = funny.
* "America's moral example must always shine" for those who thirst for dignity...lost the rest. Like the sentiment, though. (need to get full text tomorrow. will cut and paste parts for my students to analyze. love it.)
* Bringing our troops home in July. Yay!
* "No one can be prevented from serving the country they love because of who they love."
* "This is a place where you can make it if you try." The American Dream -- a solid appeal to pathos and pride -- gets 'em every time! :)
* Brandon rocks. 34 days of rescuing Chilean miners because he was able to "think outside the box" and went home before the miners came out because he didn't want to be in the spotlight.
* "We do big things. The idea of America endures. Our destiny remains our choice."
God Bless America!