I was browsing the Oprah website, and she has a list of 13 healthy habits to improve your life . . . here they are (with my commentary in parentheses a la The Princess Bride, which I just finished reading).
1. Eat breakfast every morning. (Score, I do that...good health, here I come!)
2. Add fish and Omega-3 fatty acids to your diet. (Ok, I confess that the only time I really eat fish is during Lent...strike one...)
3. Get enough sleep. (The article says 7-10 hours a night...Uh...give me a second, let me count. Ok, I am still doing OK. I usually get 7...)
4. Make social connections. (It says "join a church". I think we have that one covered, too! I think you know I am fairly gregarious!)
5. Exercise for better health. (To be honest, I was a total exercise slacker this academic year, BUT I have been working out frequently this summer...running, even! Can you imagine? I did 2.7 miles today.)
6. Practice good dental hygiene. (OMG, as the kids say...I have a dentist appointment tomorrow! Hmm...but I am bad about flossing. Let's be honest here, a dental honesty day, if you will...who flosses? Daily?)
7. Take up a hobby. (LOL LOL LOL. I think I've got THAT covered...I have 15 different hobbies which keep me incredibly active~!)
8. Protect your skin. (I am, well, religious about this one. And I don't mean Christmas and Easter religious. I use at minimum SPF 50 and I would never dream of going tanning. Too many people I love are suffering with cancer...why put myself at risk? And I never tanned as a kid. I go from Casper to Lobster in 15 minutes. Not worth even trying.)
9. Snack the healthy way. (Ok, I am nutritionally negligent, as my students will testify...I think I've been told that Easy Mac for lunch is NOT really a meal more than once this school year...my closet is stocked with the stuff...that and microwaveable soup. I should eat more fruits and veggies. Hold on a sec...I'll put it on my "To-Do" list...ok, I'm back.)
10. Drink Water and Eat Dairy. (Not too bad in this department, though I could up the water intake, just like everyone else I know.)
11. Drink Tea. (Huh. Who saw that one coming? I do drink tea, but I drink diet iced tea, which is probably 97% chemicals and any potential antioxidant benefits of the tea are probably lost...)
12. Take a daily walk. (Wait, this one isn't under exercise? Let me read this one closely. Oh, I get it. Don't be slacker and actually walk up the stairs instead of taking the elevator, etc. That's cool.)
13. Plan. (Total OMG! I was born with a "To-Do" list in my hand...for evidence see #9...)
Well that was fun. I just got home from Bald Eagle State Park; we took the kids from the youth group there for a picnic and swim day. Aidan and Gabrielle went, too, and we had a lot of fun. I didn't...get ready for this...take my camera, though. I just let life happen and we had fun. That's nice, too. Maybe that should be on the list of healthy habits.